"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Buckler

Buckler:

–noun
1. a round shield held by a grip and sometimes having straps through which the arm is passed.
2. any means of defense; protection.

–verb (used with object)
3. to be a shield to; support; defend. 


A small round shield to ward off blows.

I read where God is our buckler and was confused. I thought something belt-like. Then I looked it up and this is what I found. A small shield. It was worn on the arm and could be held up to defend the heart.

WOW ~ my heart has taken a beating. I am constantly trying to shield it from hurt, but end up being wounded. 


This seems to be a very clear instruction. I am not the one that can defend my heart. I need something more than what I have been using. I think David had it right when he said:


"The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower."  Psalm 18:2 (KJV)
Too often I have told God what he will be to me, not allowing for the fact that he is a good God. He is an all-knowing God. He doesn't need my help. In fact, my help will only harm. 


I need only to admit to myself, and to God, that I can't do this. My heart is too fragile and too vulerable to attack. I need help. I am weak. I can't stand up against attack. But I have enough strength to hold a little shield in front of my heart. No matter what happens in the battle, I should purpose to hold that shield until my dying breathe is gone. 


Proverbs 2:7 (KJV) says:
"He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly."
Sound wisdom.


Isn't that really at the root of everything God asks of us? 
  • To be wise enough to know we can't do this thing on our own.  
  • To be wise enough to know that it is all about Christ. 
  • To be wise enough to know that even as Christians, we will sin on a daily and sometimes hourly, basis. 
  • To be wise enough to know that we are vulerable to hurt and influence that will lead us astray. 
  • To be wise enough to know that the heart lies. 
  • Finally, to be wise enough to know that there is one who can do and be all the things we need. 
All we need to do is seek after God, and the desires of his heart, with all that we have, and he will be our shield. 


What do you need to shield your heart from? Is it hurt from someone who just won't change? Is it hurt from a situation that is beyond your control to influence? Is it anger at the unfairness of an illness? Is it heartbreak from the ending of a relationship? 


Ask today for God to become the buckler in your life. Let him shield your heart from leading you into unwise emotions, thoughts, decisons and situations. Then you can live in the promise of Romans 15:13 (NIV):



"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."



1 comment:

Runner Mom said...

Hey, girl! Just read your comment on my post about walking! You rock!! You have to start with that to get to running. It's just like when a baby learns to walk...crawling is essential, then pulling up, then one or two steps...and you're walking. What I would do is find a friend,and research a 5K--3.1 miles--in your area for May. Once you have a goal, and you have paid $$ to participate, you'll be inspired to put forth the effort. Promise! Then, just start walking. Plan on at least 20 minutes walking strong the first time. And, I am assuming that you are in good shape with no heart/medical issues or else you need to talk to your dr first. :).

Then, write it down on your handy dandy healthy calender( Dollar Tree or your dentist have the best deals!!)YOu take control of your health. THe next day, walk again or take a class at the Y--or gym. Try to get in at least 4 days of walking per week to start out.

Feel free to go to Runner's World website and look for 5K training plans for beginners. That will give you direction. Also, feel free to email me at carolinahoods@charter.net if you have other questions. I am so proud of you!! Keep it up!!
Hugs!
Susan