"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'll Take the Fall

We had some freezing misting rain last night. This morning carrying Abby down the front stairs my feet slipped out from under me because of a sheet of ice on the bottom step. My first and only thought was that Abby not be hurt. I managed to fall over some-what backward, landing on my hip, before rolling to my knee. I had a tight grip on my baby and managed to keep her from getting hurt. I on the other hand have a six inch red and purple bruise on my hip where I landed on the edge of the stair. Even though I knew it would hurt, all I cared about was keeping my baby from being hurt. If I had to do it again, I would take the fall to keep her safe.

Later, sitting at my desk, I started tightening up and the soreness really kicked in. I still didn't care. I was just happy Abby was OK.

The more I think about this, the more I feel like that must be what God wants for us. He knows that there is going to be rough and dangerous terrain for us to cross, but if we just let Him carry us, if something happens, he will hold on tight and take the fall for us. 

He is the God that would rather take our punishment and die on the cross as atonement for our sin.  Why wouldn't he want to save us from the things that will bruise and hurt us? 

I'm not saying that God will keep us from ALL pain and hurt. Those are the things that will grow us and lead us deeper in our relationship of Faith. But sometimes, we need to just hold on tight and trust God to save us in the fall.

Psalm 37:24 (NIV)
Though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

Matthew 26:41 (NIV)
"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit iswilling, but the body is weak."

Jude 1:24-24 (NIV)
"To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

No comments: