"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Happy or joyful?

"They blessed the king and then went home, joyful and glad in heart for all the good things the LORD had done for his servant David and his people Israel." 1 Kings 8:66
I have to confess. I was looking at clothes the other day. I was looking at clothing several sizes smaller than I am. I was wishing. I was making myself depressed. I wanted to go home and eat something comforting.

Why did I do that to myself? Why do women do that?

If I can stay in the moment, stay focused on the here and now, I am generally pretty happy. I can take things moment by moment and celebrate the little victories. But sometimes I look ahead at the way I wish things were. 

I was so happy just moments ago because I had a great workout today. Then I looked at myself in the mirror and reality hit. I have a long, long way to go.

Happiness crash 'n burn.

I love the above verse from 1 Kings. The Israelite were joyful and glad in heart for all the good things the LORD had done.

They weren't joyful over things that they were hoping for, striving for, looking to. They weren't looking for something better, or more.

They were joyful over the things that had already happened. 

How often do we look forward and become dissatisfied, even disheartened, over what we wish could be?

By keeping our focus on what God has already done for us, we can claim the joy that God promises. 

Today I can choose to thank God for walking with me through a good workout. For giving me the energy and health to do it, and to feel better afterward. Or I can choose to focus on the way I wish I was. 

I think today I will choose to be glad in heart over what God just did for me.

One other thing to ponder: Joy is from the LORD. No conditions. We don't have to earn it or seek it. It is in our heart because of the love we have for Jesus. Happiness is a fleeting thing that we chase to make us feel better. Happiness comes from the world. Joy from God. 

As I did today, stop and ask yourself, am I seeking happiness for myself, or am I basking in the joy of what God has already done in my life? 

No comments: