"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pride = Expectation

While organizing pictures for scrapbooking I have noticed that I am quite prideful...not of myself, but of my sweet little kiddos.

I always assumed that Proverbs 16:18: Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall, was talking about pride in yourself. Well, God has given me a little AH-HA! moment today.

I tend to be very proud of Kevin when he is "performing" well. Good grades, great behavior, dedication to sports. What I haven't seen is that I tend to let my pride dictate what my expectations for him are. I notice that the more compliments I receive about him, the more I expect from him, so I can hear how great he is. I KNOW how great he is, even on his not very great days. So why is it that I only tend to believe it when others tell me...and why do I want so much to hear it?

Now I am noticing that I am putting the same expectations on Abby. How big my pride has become in them!

How could I possibly take pride in something I have nothing to do with? Why is my first response not to give God the glory for their personalities and skills?

I AM proud of my kids...but I need to back away from taking pride in them.

I am glad that I was at a place today where God could show me something in myself that needs correcting by something as simple as starting to scrapbook my kids pictures.

No comments: