"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Old vs.New

Old...

Laying on the floor in my jammies watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

New...

Watching the kids lay on the floor, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Old...

making haystacks with my mom

New...

Making haystacks with my kids

Old...

Having leftover dark meat turkey sandwiches and cranberry sauce for dinner.

New...

Having leftover dark meat turkey sandwiches and cranberry sauce for dinner.

Old...

Decorating for the Christmas holiday and watching my dad put the star on top

New...

Decorating for the Christmas holiday and watching my husband help my son put the angel on top.

I don't know about you, but it is fun to look back at the old traditions of my childhood and compare to see how they have shaped the traditions of today.

One tradition that I didn't carry on was my mom's cornbread dressing and giblet gravy. It was always my favorite dish and I would eat a ton of it. I can still taste it. I didn't have her teach me how to make either one, so now, I just make stove top cornbread dressing and enjoy the fact that I have great memories of watching my mom in the kitchen working to make our Thanksgiving great. This Thanksgiving I am very thankful for my family and friends, but I keep returning to the fact that I had such love and security growing up. It makes me look at how I am raising my kids and really think about what memories and traditions I am passing along. Are they good memories and enduring traditions? My mom has been gone for awhile now, but it is still really hard for me around the holidays. She was great at making the holidays a big deal and making them fun. I hope that I can bring that same excitement and enjoyment to my kids as the years pass by.

Have a great holiday everyone.

No comments: