"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Rambly Ramblin'

I was recently shopping for a Halloween costume and had several observations that made me really sad...
The costume industry considers a costume to be sized XL if you are a size 12-14. This is the average size of the American Woman. How sad that we are telling a woman that her weight, although healthy and beautiful fo her body, is not thin enough for the masses. Cheryl Burke from Dancing With the Stars put on a little weight, all the way up to a size four, and she is receiving emails telling her she needs to lose weight. What is WRONG with people?!
Costumes clearly marked "Teen Trends" had skirts so short that special underwear would have to be purchased to be worn with it, and so little material on top that 99% of her body would NOT have been left to the imagination. They had titles like "naughty", "sexy", and "hot". When did it become acceptable to allow our daughters to aspire to these images? Lord, please make me the very epitome of the uncool mom. Help me to teach my daughter to stand against these trends and to become a great woman of integrity and modesty.
In a time of economic seesawing...apparently people are still willing to spend $50-$100 on a costume that will be worn exactly one evening a year. I think we all need a Dave Ramsey in our pocket, and definately a Dave Ramsey helping to set prices in the supermarkets, stores and retailers!
After all this...I still don't have a costume!

Abby has definately gotten my temper, patience and attitude. Today alone she has fallen out of her crib (agian!) because she didn't want to wait for someone ot get her out, she fusses at us and bats at our hand when we try to help her do something because she is already "Miss Independent", she was tired but not willing to admit defeat so she continued to play, getting frustrated, angry and sleepier as she went. I finally placed her in prison (otherwise known as her bed) after she got angry that I tried to help her up and she bit and hit her piano. Ahhh...the best is still to come I hear. Oh mercy!

It is the middle of October and the trees are starting to turn colors. I am such a seasonal tourist! As soon as signs start to show of the change of season (autumn especially) I get all excited and happy and want to head out to see what God is up to. I love autumn the best because I love the cooler weather and wearing sweatshirts, college football (Go Razorbacks!), pumpkin patches and corn mazes, and decorating for the fall harvest look. I even pull out some recipes that I only make in the fall like beef stew, veggie soup, haystacks and chili. I like to be home more cuddled under a blankie and watching a movie or TV with the kids. ( I have to admit I am looking forward to that game system that we heard Santa was bringing this year. Great bonding time with the kiddo!) Next weekend we have a local festival called Chili-fest. I can't wait to hit the town square and check out the booths and get me some of that award winning (mild) chili!

I have been re-reading some books that I didn't pay that much attention to the first time. Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel, Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson and the new Strong Willed Child by Dr. Dobson. With all the refocusing, I have discovered that I have let several attitudes, habits and such get way out of hand. How true (now looking back with 20/20 vision) that it is much easier to head off the undesired behavior than to break them of the well established one!

Speaking of 20/20 vision...I am looking to retire the purple glasses. I am pretty sure that they have shrunk. No, I don't know how and I can't explain why I think so, I am just pretty sure they have. I plan to head to my handy dandy Wal-mart and let my dear friend Susie get me into some fun new wire frames.

I am in full couch potato mode. I have way to many shows that I don't want to miss! I have a housework system that actually keeps me on track and I get more done while I am watching TV. I try to see how much I can squeeze in during the commercial breaks. You would be absolutely shocked how much housework can get done in one evening of TV. (plus, I save putting the laundry away and folding the towels and whites until my shows are on. Then, I can kill two birds with one stone. Actually three, the time I would have spent doing that earlier I can spend helping Kevin with his homework or chasing Abby around making weird noises and sayin' Gonna Getcha. Oh ya, it's high class all the way around here!

Something about the fall makes me feel really crafty. I have been inspired to scrapbook, buy paint and get out the hot glue gun. I have even got paint waiting for me to tackle the bedroom. Like I said, I LOVE the autumn time!