"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Confession

OK, it's time to confess something.

I haven't tried one little bit to memorize my scripture from the 1st. It is a very important scripture (as they all are) and I haven't even tried. I have figured that I know what the meaning of the scripture is so I don't need to press on for the word for word memorization.

How lazy and Satan-serving is that?

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
~ Hebrews 4:12


It starts out with an amazing revelation ~ The word of God is living and active ~ tells me that every word is as relevant to me today as it was on the day it was penned.

Then it moves on to a warning and a promise ~ sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow ~ shows that it isn't just a love story from God to me, but it is a tool to discipline myself, guide my path, words and deeds, and to look at the intentions of it all. It also shows me that it can help me to keep myself from being polluted by the world, poisoning my soul with the influences of sin as well as the toxic things I think. It can even direct me physically by showing me that too much of a good thing can have more repercussions than just weight gain, sickness or fatigue.

Finally, it reminds me that no matter what I say or do, ~ it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart ~ . I should be digging into scripture to make sure that my heart motives match up with my actions. It is so easy to fall into the trap of "doing" good and yet not having good intentions or desires. When we start living to keep up appearances or satisfy the christian quota of good deeds and Christ-like attitude, we have just become like the Pharisees. God desires us to have an organic, growing and expanding desire to please him and worship him, with our words, deeds and most importantly, with our heart. When we can be pure in our thoughts and attitudes inside, where only God and we can see, then we are honoring him with our life.

I have become too comfortable and allow myself way too much permission to fail. It is not asking too much for me to learn these verses word for word, nor is it too much to expect me to put as much effort into learning scripture as I do learning the lyrics to my new favorite song. As a matter of fact, it is actually quite embarrassing to admit that things of this world are more easily retained than the Word of God. It doesn't matter if the song is Christian or not, it is not God's inspired Word.

Only the middle of April and yet I have fallen this far off focus. Luckily, I am not going to give up, but just ask forgiveness for my laziness and distraction, and get back to it.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Amen. :) Thank you, I needed that.

Shanda said...

Hmmm...I think at times satan attempts to numb our minds in order that we not understand the true power and authority of God's Word. Such power in this verse!!

Praise God that His mercies are new every morning!