"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

What's fun for us

I'm double posting for Marriage Monday this month. I "pre-screened" the topic and wrote what was in my heart, but then the preview was posted and there was a specific question in there so I am writing a second posting to more closely follow the spirit of the topic this month. I hope you enjoy both.

Bob and I have a slightly weird sense of fun. We like to work. Not 9-5, office and clients, bosses and deadlines. We like to get dirty together doing home improvement, yard work, gardening, cleaning, etc.

We both want to begin taking mission trips, but don't feel called to the VBS opportunities that have been offered. Rather, we are looking for one where we can go to repair an orphanage, build a feeding center, clean a village, etc. It is so much fun, and so enriching, to be able to work alongside someone to improve their living situation in a tangible way, leaving something solid and long-standing behind. In addition, people are more likely to talk to someone they don't really know if you are laboring alongside them.

A couple of years ago we were blessed with the opportunity to serve in inner-city Chicago. We spent two days cleaning the neighborhood and going door to door getting the info of our church plant out. My husband spent the two days working on a one car garage, turning it into a youth center. His team got to have some really great conversations while working with the men and kids of the neighborhood. I spent most of my day cleaning the neighborhood and then going door to door. The work I did was important and I know God blessed it, but now there is no sign I was ever there. My husband's labor, on the other hand, still stands.

There are so many areas in our country that need such manual service. We are beginning to search around to see what options are available. We would like to work here in the United States, as well as outside of our country.

It's not just memories of the time spent with and serving others that we bring home, it's also how our relationship has grown when we serve others. You learn so many things, new things and amazing things, when you watch your spouse serve and love others for Jesus.

And if we want to just relax and get away? Well, he is a camper. He loves to pitch a tent and spend the weekend hiking and just sitting still watching the fire. I like to camp as long as it includes some excitement like canoeing or (still on my wish list but I will get to do it someday) white water rafting. I am hoping that we can get away together, just the two of us, within the next couple of months. It's also a great way to remember all the ways that God is creative. nature does that, and sharing it with my hubby is something that helps to feed my soul.

It really is a blessing to be married to a man that lives to serve. We are a great fit, and when we need to get away and just relax, well, we are in sync there, too. I guess God really does know how to fit ALL the pieces together, huh?

head on over to Marriage Monday to read more great stories of friendship in marriage, just click on the button in my right hand column, and tell e-mom hi while you're there!

8 comments:

Marsha said...

What a wonderful post! You both have such servant hearts. I wish our ministry had those type of regular opportunities to provide folks like you with service projects.

I do have some dear friends in another area of rural Appalachia that do much in the way of home repair. It you are interested, here is their website:
http://www.mustardseeds.org/

Blessings to you both.

Shanda said...

How awesome to be able to do service projects together! My husband and I also enjoy those types of things. The opportunities have been limited with such little ones and no family around, but we still do them when we get the chance. Right now we are in a season of supporting each other "in Spirit." (vs. hands on) It has been another great venture for us-learning how to share the adventures and opportunities with words instead of eyes.

We love to camp and adventure as well & I've always wanted to go white water rafting too! (It's on my list along with sky diving and bungee jumping! ;) )

Miriam Pauline said...

Sounds like the two of you are a perfect fit! Thanks for sharing.

Constance said...

Your post struck a chord with me today. I feel the same way about practically serving God. I feel a stirring every time a natural disaster strikes and I see people cleaning up. I have a house cleaning business and so I am ready to roll up my sleeves and pitch in! The grittier the better!

You may feel like there isn't a trace of your work in Chicago but you can bet, there is and God has recorded it!

I have to tell you, in my post today I shared mine and my Hub's experiences and now I am kicking myself for leaving out a picture of one of our White Water trips!

For future reference:
The Browns Canyon Run on The Arkansas River (out of Johnson's Village, Colorado) is one of the best Whitewater trips we've taken!

In West Virginia, some great Class IV & V's are on the New and Gauley Rivers!!

Connie

Denise said...

Such a great post dear.

Susan said...

Wow, this was great! Your husband sounds like mine.

His love language is serving too.

Sounds like God uses you together to do some great things.

There are so many places you could go on the mission field.

We've been to Haiti, Russia, and Amsterdam. Life changing experiences.

Blessings♥

Andrea said...

What a great post! It seems like you and hubby were truly a match made in Heaven. It's great when you can have fun building memories together, but it's even more beautiful when the two of you work together to build God's kingdom.

I'm sure your work in Chicago was greatly appreciated. I've never been to Chicago, but several years ago Charles Lyons, pastor of Chicago's Armitage Baptist Church, came to speak to our congregation. He mentioned how his church was committed to cleaning up the city, serving the people there, and drawing them closer to God.

What a blessing that you and your hubby were making an impact there! May God bless you both!

lori said...

Congratulations!! You are one of the Internet Cafe winners!!
YEAH!!!

Happy Easter Weekend!!
peace!
lori