"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Titus 2 Tuesday ~ Melody

It's been awhile since I have posted a Titus 2 Tuesday entry. Not that I haven't wanted to, I have just not been able to sit down and get my thoughts to flow. I am lucky that this week God is chipping away at the dam in my words, because He is allowing me to tell you about my friend Melody.

The first time I attended my church I was a huge mess. I had very recently been told that my mom would not be around more than another six weeks at best, and a week before walking in the doors of this church building I had a big 'ol come to Jesus on the side of the road. It knocked me for a huge loop and left me a new baby in an old world. I was needing definate connection with what God was going to be to me in this new and scary world.

I walked in the doors that Sunday feeling overwhelmed, scared, sad and unsure. I sat through a message on hope (of which I cried almost the entire time) and then this woman got up and sang "Sometimes He Calms The Storm". That was the first time I met Melody. She probably doesn't realize that she had a huge impact on me that day. God used her to tell my soul the words that I needed so desperately to hear.

Over the following year or so I would see Melody around but our paths never really crossed in a friendship building way. Then I started attending a workout class at church that she helped to lead. We had some fun times and good general and light discussions.

About 2 1/2 years ago, I found out I was pregnant with our second child. Not long after, I found out that Melody was pregnant with her third. We bonded over the fact that we were so close together in our due date, pregnancy woes and things that worried us. After the babies (both beautiful girls) were born, we continued to connect over infant care, development and post-baby bodies.

We have gotten to the point where we are taking our relationship to a more personal level. More about spiritual growth and what is truly important in our lives. Bob and I will be joining her and her husband's small group for married couples and I am so excited about that!

Recently she stepped out of her comfort zone and spoke for the first time at a ladies event. I learned several things about her that were very surprising, and some that I had an idea of all along (like the fact that she is a very talented speaker!).

Melody has been very influential in helping me to define a true friendship. They are not instant. They take time and energy to cultivate and grow. They take truth and love, strength and bravery, humility and forgiveness.

I have enjoyed the process of our friendship. It is slow growing and hopefully that will allow the roots to grow deep to sustain us over many years to come.

Meet more T2 women by clicking on the link in my right hand column.

3 comments:

HappyascanB said...

What a beautiful story! I love how God brought Melody to you when you were so low, and how y'all are cultivating such a beautiful friendship now! Beautiful!!

Shanda said...

I'm so glad God allowed your words to flow! This was beautiful! I've missed you my friend!

I love that her name is Melody and that it was a song that first ministered to you through her!

True friendship is so worth the investment of time.

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

what a great story!! sounds like those roots are digging deep!!!