"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hungry~ 30 Hour Famine

This week I am posting "Hungry". Our youth group is participating in a 30 Hour Famine to help them connect with the tragedy of hunger in this world. 29,000 children die every day from starvation and malnutrition. It is a completely treatable condition. $1 will feed one child for a day. I usually pay a little more than that for sweet tea from McDonald's on my way to work. If every person living above the poverty line in the United States gave $1 a day for the rest of their lives, we could wipe out hunger worldwide, forever.

We sang "Hungry" tonight during our worship time. We had just blown out 300 candles in 15 minutes. One for each light that was blown out by hunger during that time. What we were left with was a dark room. It was a great visual of what the world looks like when we as Christians do not step up to the call to be the light of the world. Even one flame left flickering would have chased away the darkness.

Our prayer for the teens this weekend is that they would finally put aside themselves and become hungry for Christ. Offer all of themselves, and realize that Jesus is all that is worth living for. Those changes will change the world.

One flame at a time.



For more songs from TSMS Saturday, follow the link in my right hand column.

8 comments:

Beth in NC said...

I pray the Holy Spirit will spark a FIRE in the souls of these young people this weekend! I pray this fire will blaze and never be quenched in Jesus' Name!

Bless you,
Beth

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite praise song, because I get hungry and thirsty for Him when I do not spend time with Him like I should. This song always brings me close to Him again. Thanks for posting! Love it!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

This song is Awesome, thans for sharing! God Bless you! Robin

Debbie Petras said...

What a wonderful way to teach teens! Yes, my prayer is that this next generation would be hungry for the Lord; that they would become students of His Word and live out their faith in front of others in love. This is a great demonstration of love and faith in action. I love hearing about things like this. Bless you!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

I love this song. We sing it, often, at our church.
What a great project/learning experience for your teens to do. I pray it is meaningful for them and will change their hearts and lives.

Shanda said...

Our youth is doing the same 30 hr fast!! What a perfect song!

Cathy said...

Agreeing in prayer with you for the teens ~
A great song for your post ~

Tara said...

Great song - I hadn't heard that before! And what a powerful image to share with your teens, wow...thanks for sharing that.