"Blessed is she, who has believed, that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." Luke 1:45

Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

10 Days of Bob ~ Day 6

Today I have to tell you what a great leader I'm married to.

I have had the pleasure of sitting back over the past three years and watching my husband just explode as a leader.

Normally quiet, he will contribute to conversations when he feels like it or when directly asked, but he has never been the "up front" guy.

When we became youth sponsors Bob took a huge step outside of his comfort zone and agreed to lead a small group. I won't tell you that he just stepped up and discovered a natural talent for leading. He has had to work at it, stumble and fumble, and struggle to obey God to do what He called him to do. As time passed he started to become more comfortable in the role. As a natural progression of that, he has started reaching out to men our age, and sometimes older, to mentor or lead as well. I think, no, I know, that my respect for my husband grew so much because he did have to struggle. Watching him be obedient to God and push through and dedicate himself to learning and growing as a leader has made me prouder than I can put into words. He is a wonderful example of obeying God's call no matter what your personal desire is. I am very excited when I try to imagine our future. No matter what I try to see, I always see Bob continuing to grow and mature as a leader.

I also have to acknowledge that he has become a good leader in our family as well. Naturally I am hard-headed, emotional and opinionated and He has had to deal with me learning to be a biblically submissive wife. We have both struggled with following God's desires in these roles, and sometimes we miss the mark by a mile, but I have become confident in his leadership enough to know that he is doing what he thinks is best for our family: physically, emotionally, monetarily and most important, spiritually. I think the fact that he has consistently tried to be what God calls him to be has made me feel more confident in his opinions and decisions than I would have been otherwise.

So, today I thank God for helping Bob to become, and continue to grow as, the leader of our family.

No comments: